Sunday, October 3, 2010

Beer Review: Unibroue La Fin du Monde


This is a Belgian Tripel which means that it employs a triple yeast fermentation process.

The beer pours a golden yellow; a bit darker than a wheat beer but very similar in character. Belgian beers are supposed to be poured into a tulip glass or goblet but I have neither so my wiezen glass filled in. There is a substantial creamy white head that dissipates slowly. A very easy beer to look at.

There is a pleasant spicy scent that is immediately noticeable. Lots of cloves and citrus fruits. Not too complex in the nose, but very pleasing.

Sweet nutmeg, cloves, lemon, orange and banana tastes assault your palate from the get go. Through the middle a certain light bitterness hits you; some hops are present on the back end but not much to speak of. At times I thought I detected a hint of alcohol, which wouldn't have been surprising (at 9% abv) but on the whole the alcohol taste was not present.

As with most belgian beers, the yeast makes for a rich palate experience and this is no exception. Feels like a Saison (see review for Ommegang Hennepin on this blog) but with a noticeable kick of spiciness.

Highly drinkable though I forced myself to take my time with this one. The 9% abv is pretty much invisible and the taste is clean, crisp and pleasing throughout. Great drinking experience!

As you can see from the picture, I bought this in large bottle format; a 750ml bottle. It put me back $6.99+ tax which is on the expensive side so while I enjoyed it very much, it is not something I will be buying with exceptional frequency.

Score: B+  3.75/5

No comments:

Post a Comment