Sunday, October 31, 2010

Beer as Art Part II: Success!

A couple week ago I posted about a little art project I started using labels from the beer bottles that I've drank over the course of the last year or so. Yesterday, that venture came to a conclusion with the pasting of the last few labels onto the foam board. The poster now sits on the wall overlooking my bed and I must say, it is a very artistic addition to my room. As of now I have not used any adhesive to seal the labels onto the board; they simply sit, glued to the board. I am considering getting some spray on adhesive to ensure that the labels do not peel off. Another way to do this that I found online is to cut a bunch of glue with water to make a solution and paint it on top of all the labels but I'm a little weary of doing this because I found that watery glue makes the labels more prone to ripping.

If anyone has any questions about how to do this, on any scale (even small posters look great) let me know and I can answer any questions. Also refer to my previous post for instructions on removing labels from the bottles and pasting them onto the board. A quick note about gluing and the effect of paste on a foam board; when you glue the labels on the front of the board, the adhesive grips the board and pulls the edges towards the middle. The result is a foam board that is concave and very difficult to mount to a wall with any sort of poster-hanging material. An easy way to counteract this is to take any sort of paper and basically do the exact same thing you did to the front; glue those sheets of paper to the back. This will create the same curling effect in the opposite direction; compensating for the concavity that formed. Good luck to anyone trying this out and keep drinking good beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment