Sunday, September 19, 2010

Beer Review: Ommegang Hennepin

This is was my first beer of a style called a Saison.

The beer pours a light, golden color. Brighter (almost luminescent) than a macro lager. I poured conservatively because last time I had this beer the large, fluffy head overflowed  out of my 22oz glass.

There is a Floral scent. Also smells of Citrus fruits and lots of spices; very pleasant overall.

The citrus taste mirrors the smell, it has a kind of richness I believe can be attributed to the yeast. Takes a little bit to get into the taste, maybe because this is my first saison but about halfway through the beer I was like "wow." Very very tasty. Yeast, clove, a mix of fruity tastes dominate.

Seems light at first but as stated above there is a certain richness to it (typical of Belgian style beers). Excellent palate experience.

I found myself getting a little full at the end of this glass, but very satisfying. The 7.7% abv is invisible.

This is an excellent, consistent beer that always hits the spot. Serve it cold, but not too cold as all of the different flavors will not shine through if it's too cold. At $11.99 for a 4 pk it's not a steal by any means, but definitely worth a try. You won't be disappointed.

Score: B+  4.0/5  
(I think it's worth explaining that if price were not a factor at all, I would have rated this beer a 4.5/5 but the relatively high price warrants a half point subtraction.)

No comments:

Post a Comment