Saturday, September 4, 2010

Beer Commercials: forshadowing a spiral into stupidity

I don't know about anyone else, but I think beer ads on tv are pretty ridiculous and while I'm able to laugh at some of them, the vast majority I find to be an insult to men and Americans in general. One in particular stands out as exceptionally base and impudent:


Let me just say that if my girlfriend left a trail of rose petals to the bedroom, I know what the hell is up right away and my pants are off before I get through the kitchen. I get the whole joke about men loving their beer more than their women and that it's supposed to be funny but beer companies are simply taking advantage of American love of humor by inundating you with comedic crap that distracts from the fact that their beer doesn't taste like beer should. I've always thought that advertising by focusing on something inconsequential to to the product itself (like cold activation windows here or feeling cool, like you see in countless commercials these days) was cowardly. It's shrewd, but mostly cowardly. Why can't the just talk about the taste of the beer? Even Miller Lite makes more of an effort by touting their "triple hops brewing process" (ask me why that's a scam)! In the end I guess they have no choice because there really isn't much to say about their beer other than it's about as easy to drink as water... I think that's Bud Light's marketing strategy, isn't it?

2 comments:

  1. Although the ads might be misleading, I find them hilarious due to their absurdity.



    Good blog btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right; I do find some of them very funny. The coors light ones featuring football people are clever.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete